What is a WPAN?
WPAN standards for Wireless personal area network, it consist of a group of short range communication devices that work from distance from a few inches to 10m and can on occasion reach up to a distances of 30m.
WPAN are usually designed for data transmission that do not required high data throughput.
WPAN has 3 advantages;
- Reduce the need for cables and wires
- Do not require much power due low out put transmitting power making battery life last for much longer.
- Due to distance limitation it has somewhat better security and privacy compared to other wireless technologies.
WPAN technology can consist but are not limited to the following below types devices
- portable data exchange devices
- Home control systems
- audio head sets
- industrial control systems
- home security systems
- RFID tags
- inventory and asset tracking
Pyles, J. Carrell, J.L. Tittel, E. (2013). Guide to TCP/IP: IPv6 and IPv4 (Fifth Edition). Boston:CENGAGE Learning